Monday, September 8, 2008

Donna's Birthday!


Guess whose birthday is in September. It’s our own Umthun Family Blogger, Donna Mae.
It just doesn’t seem fit that Donna should post her own birthday month, so a few of us have conspired to make it happen. Donna, being the youngest of the 10 always seemed like more of a cousin than an aunt. She, of course, was the hippest and coolest of them with the best hair color. (OK I’m a little biased)

Just a couple of my favorite memories: I remember hiding behind my mom as she played a Halloween witch stirring a smoking cauldron on Grandma’s driveway. I didn’t know the magic of dry ice at the time and I don’t know if I ever got up the nerve to get close enough to get my candy.
She took the entire brood of us cousins to see Mary Poppins at the theater in Fort Dodge. I don’t know if that was brave or naïve, but we all enjoyed it.
We all enjoyed her wedding reception, but what she may not know is that the cousins bought the remaining beer after the reception and finished it off playing croquet the rest of the weekend at Virg’s house.

Best of all, Donna was one of those responsible for getting us all together last year to enjoy our greatly expanded family. To see the family tree in action was amazing. I think Grandma and Grandpa must have looked down with pride at the gathering. As life goes on we realize just how precious those times are.

Thanks, Donna. Enjoy your month even if you do have to share it.

Artie


Here's just a few pic's of Donna that have been dug up...